Benefits Enrollment Center
WISE & Healthy Aging's Benefits Enrollment Center is the first program in California designed to provide a one-stop shop to help low-income seniors throughout Los Angeles find and apply for public benefits programs to help them pay for prescription drugs, medical care, food and utilities.
The center provides screening to see what benefits programs a senior is eligible for and help complete, submit and follow up on applications for benefits.
Seniors are able to use the services of the Benefits Enrollment Center both in person at a variety of locations and senior health fairs and through a call center. The toll-free number for reaching the center is (855) 6-ENROLL or (855) 636-7655.
Targeting Benefits Programs for Seniors
The Benefits Enrollment Center focuses on the following benefits programs:
- Medicare Part D Extra Help (Low-Income Subsidy), which provides about $4,000 a year to low income individuals on Medicare who need assistance paying for prescription drugs.
- Medicare Savings Program, which helps seniors with limited income and resources pay some or all of Medicare's premiums. The program may also pay Medicare deductibles and copayments.
- Medi-Cal, the California state program to deliver health care to low-income persons and families
- Cal-Fresh, (called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - SNAP - at the federal level), which helps persons with low incomes put healthy and nutritious food on the table; and
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, which helps low income individuals pay their utility bills and lower energy costs.
Partners in Serving Los Angeles County Seniors
The WISE & Healthy Aging Benefits Enrollment Center was made possible by a $130,000 grant in 2011 from the National Council on Aging (NCOA). WISE & Healthy Aging was one of only 10 organizations selected nationally - and the only one in California - to receive a NCOA Benefits Enrollment Center grant. The work of the Center continues today with NCOA funding and the generous support of the UniHealth Foundation.
The WISE & Healthy Aging Benefits Enrollment Center works with governmental and nonprofit partners, including: